Professional Code of Ethics
As a Hypnotherapist holding a Certification from the American Council of Hypnotist Examiners, I commit myself to conduct my professional relationships in accordance with the Code of Ethics and subscribe to the following statements:
1. I regard as my primary obligation the welfare of my client, whether individual or group.
2. I will comply with the requirements of the law in the jurisdiction where I practice, including requirements with regard to dealings with clients in relation to race, religion, age, and gender status.
3. I will offer services only within my scope of practice and boundaries of competence and the recognized knowledge and competencies of the profession of hypnotherapy.
4. I will not claim to diagnose, prescribe treatment for, or treat any mental or physical illness unless I possess qualifications additional to hypnotherapy certification, which legally entitle me to do so in the jurisdiction where I practice.
5. I will not use any licensed or restricted title to which I am not legally entitled in the jurisdiction where I practice.
6. I will advise a client whose requirements are outside my boundaries of competence to seek an appropriate alternative service.
7. I will advise any client presenting symptoms of physical illness, including pain, to seek the advice of a medical practitioner if this has not already been obtained.
8. I will not guarantee cures for any condition or make misleading claims or statements as to the outcome of the services I offer.
9. I will make clear to the client, prior to the provision of services, the terms, conditions and charges for my services.
10. I will maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during the course of providing my services, within the legal limits of reporting requirements in the jurisdiction where I practice. I will disclose any such limits of confidentiality to my clients prior to providing services. I will ensure that the client’s anonymity and privacy is safeguarded in the publication of any clinical material.
11. I will obtain the written consent of a parent or guardian before providing services to a minor.
12. I will not engage in intimate social contact with a client until a period of at least two years from the final session with that client.
13. I will undertake continuing professional development and education in accordance with the requirements of ACHE as updated from time to time.
14. I accept responsibility to help protect the community against unethical practice by any individuals engaged in providing hypnotherapy services e.g. by reporting professional misconduct to the proper bodies or authorities.
15. I treat with respect the findings, views and actions of professional colleagues and use appropriate channels to express my opinions on these matters.
16. I will conduct myself in a manner consistent with upholding the good reputation of the profession of hypnotherapy.
17. I will distinguish clearly in public between my statements and actions as an individual and as a representative of an organization.